How does one deal with FOE (Fear of Entry)? | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

How does one deal with FOE (Fear of Entry)?

Bend, OR

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Charts, TOS
Broker/Data: TOS, Global Futures/OEC
Favorite Futures: CL, GC, NG, YM, 6E, ZN

johny1971 View Post
Has anyone else dealt with the fear of entering trades and experience the following ruminations? If so, how did you remove that fear?

I am trying to get to the next level of success and the obstacle in my way is the fear to enter trades. I will rely on personal patience and rules to get me through this obstacle. Why do I not enter trades? Fear of loss of things that are ego and money. I must let these things go to move through the obstacle. I will decide to enter trades. I will decide that the outcome does not reflect on me. I will decide to trust rules. I can control how I function. I can control my decisions and follow through on those decisions. Today I will watch market with rules in my head. I will wait for rules to highlight a set up. I will enter set ups. I will not evaluate myself or account. Trading is not about me.

There are two reasons you fear entry:

1) Your edge doesn't work and your sub-conscience mind knows this.

2) Your edge works but you have not yet convinced yourself of this.

Losing real money has real consequences. It has nothing to do with ego. It's about self preservation. You worked hard for your money. It probably took you a lot of hours to acquire. You can lose the work of a year in weeks or even days in the market. This is serious business. Get real about the fear. The fear is justified and needs to be respected.

What metrics do you track that shows your edge works? The only way you will overcome the fear is to prove to yourself that your edge works, consistently and robustly.

The following 11 users say Thank You to Tap In for this post: