Taking a loss: cycle of grief | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

Taking a loss: cycle of grief

Los Angels

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Favorite Futures: Emini ES

Growler View Post
The cycle of grief is a model of how humans experience loss. It is generally considered in context of losing loved ones, but I recently began to apply it to my experiences while holding a losing trade. I found this model allows me to move on from losses much more quickly.

An automated strategy lets me bypass stages 1 (not exiting a looser) and stage 2 (exiting to soon Ė missing profit).
What can be done to mitigate stages 3, 4, and 5?

1. Denial (This trade will turn around. I fail to exit a loosing trade.)
2. Anger (Why am I trading instead of working, Boo Hoo, Iím wonít ever do this again. I exit to soon and miss the profit.)
3. Bargaining (My strategy needs work, If I work on it another 50 hours I wonít loose again. Setting myself up for unmet expectations.)
4. Depression (50 hours later, I just give up as I canít find a strategy improvement)
5. Acceptance (Convince myself, again, that every profitable strategy takes some losses)

In a swing ttrade the grief can go on for days! For me, it starts during the trade and lasts until the next trade. Iím not sure if I can ever remove my emotions from trading.

The following 3 users say Thank You to SidewalkAerobics for this post: