NinjaTrader Brokerage Services (www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com) | Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

Review and discuss futures brokers, their requirements and features, or ask questions about brokers and data feeds

NinjaTrader Brokerage Services (www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com)

Chinchilla

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, NT8, MT5
Favorite Futures: ES, CL, 6E

LaissezFaire View Post
Thanks, guys.

In the event of Ninjatrader freezing or a software crash - is there some backup interface/application/website where you can manage your orders or simply go flat?

When trading with Ninja through Interactive Brokers, I could always manage my orders at IB's TWS if anything happened (actually never did). I also had their mobile app as a third back-up.

I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with Ninjatrader being my only way to manage my live orders in case anything should happen during market hours.

There is a fix for this that works for me.

I run NT8 with a mountain of charts with a host of indicators and strategies some of which are quite heavy.
My computer is a top of line gaming system set up for multi-thread apps like NT8, however, at times especially during rapid price movement NT can't keep up and thus it occasionally crashes. Reloading is often a time consuming process and needless to say this is quite a disconcerting experience.

Solution:
1. Run NT7 on a separate computer (I use a high-end laptop that sits beside me).
2. Do not connect to your broker feed on NT7 unless and until NT8 goes down (however, i have had both NT7 & 8 running concurrently on separate systems on a live account and watched the orders placed on NT8 appear on the NT7 set up)
3. If and when NT8 crashes, connect your data feed / broker on NT7 (have Global Simulation mode deactivated to save time when connecting).
4. Open Chart Trader/SuperDom for the appropriate account and you should see your order there.

Test this in simulation first.
It has proven the fastest way for me to manage active orders/positions instead of waiting for NT8 to get going again.

It will be interesting to see what NT have to say on this.

The following 4 users say Thank You to Pistol101 for this post: