Definition of a prop firm | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Definition of a prop firm

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

mattz View Post
I think you just focused on one sentence. A prop firm could potentially have an educational arm, where someone could share with you his or her knowledge for a fee. However, that is an additional source of income and not where they (in my opinion) get their talent pool from. The "legit" part again, in my opinion, is the selection criteria, splits, and whether you need to show a real-time record.

Ask yourself one question: "what would I require from anyone if they asked me to hand them over my money to trade?". Further, Imagine you had a number of talented people you can choose from, and now you can be selective with your criteria. This would be a good start to think how props would act as well.

I agree. For me it's all about the business model.

My point is, if an organization offers training as a parallel service to their trading arm, then it's acceptable to call them a prop firm, because their primary source of revenue is not (or not necessarily) coming from training.

I was browsing "prop firm" on Google earlier on today and I came across Savius LLC (I've seen they're also mentioned here on FIO). That to me looks like a prop firm which also offers training services. That's legit in my view.

The following user says Thank You to xplorer for this post: