Definition of a prop firm | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Definition of a prop firm

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

blb014 View Post
You mean like all these combines that people spend money on? Definitely pipe dream “training” firms

shodson View Post
Yeah, those are examples.

Since you mentionied "combines" I figure you are referring to Topstep Trader? I don't think I could ever pass a combine unless I was trading micro futures contracts and had a few months to slowly grind my way to the profit targets. Meanwhile, I'd cough up hundreds of $$$ to them to be in the combine. Nice job if you can do it...

I actually did not have those firms in mind, for two reasons:

1) if they do, in fact, have long-term traders that have passed their criteria and are being funded with a profit split, in my mind they would fall into the "prop firm" definition I talked about

2) there is no "paid training before being funded". Having said that, there is still a fee to be paid until one is consistent

You hear many stories about these firms but, as someone pointed out, you never get talk to people who have been long-term partners, so there is little frame of reference.

I would have tried one of these to see for myself but they do not support the trading platform I use.

Last edited by xplorer; June 9th, 2018 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Clarification
The following 2 users say Thank You to xplorer for this post: