Life Without Trading | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Life Without Trading

Glasgow, Lanarkshire Scotland

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Jigsaw Daytradr
Broker/Data: Working my way around them all
Favorite Futures: ZN, ES

ZapBrannigan View Post
How? Curious, what is your method or routine?
Here is mine (ask yourself H.A.L.T. throughout the day):

1. H.A.L.T = Hungry? Angry? Lonely (emotional)? Tired?
2. Mentally rehearse = Be prepared for when your emotions strike. Anticipate, plan for it.
3. Positive imagery = Trading to win. Visualise it.
4. Induce relaxation = HRV. Biofeedback (heart monitor, pressure monitor). Breathing exercises.

I use this routine and yes I have a HRM and blood pressure monitor which I use once a day to keep track of my health over time. I got this from Andrew Menaker. Trader/Psychologist. Hes got some good stuff, check out his youtube vids.

Thanks,

This is really interesting. I've not thought about monitors before but they probably could add quite a lot to awareness. I totally agree awareness and understanding is probably preferential to outright emotional disconnection, which dare I say it is neither practical or desirable. A part of me thinks it's something that the retail trading psychology market has made cool for self promotion. I hate to be cynical but I find that argument hard to buy into now.

My reason for this is that if I look at my own profession, it's very hard to disconnect entirely from the emotional side of things and I also don't think I'd want to. I think if we were to ask a number of professional traders they would agree that they have to go to work with a variety of emotional stressors. I think they just find ways to be aware of them and manage them rather than "disconnect" so to speak.

Just my thoughts of course,

Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Trambo for this post: