What is your primary trading workstation? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

What is your primary trading workstation?

Suffield, CT

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: MC, NT, Python, R
Broker/Data: IB, Oanda, IQFeed
Favorite Futures: ES, NQ, YM, CL, RB, 6E

Dedicated Lenovo Y510p laptop

Currently using a dedicated Lenovo Y510p with an i7-4700MQ @ 2.4GHz and 16 GB RAM. It has a slow-ish 5400 RPM HD that's backed with a 256GB SSD "cache" (i.e. hybrid). I predominantly use MultiCharts 64 (latest) with IQFeed/IB though have pretty much "tried everything" from this laptop over the past 10 years.

I usually have 8 charts "live" (CL, RB, CL+RB, 6E, YM, NQ, ES & Ripple) though typically only trade NQ, YM and CL (discretionary) and RB (automated). I keep the others active mostly just to have a full tick history available. Even during busy markets, the laptop keeps up fairly well though I have a 200Mb Internet connection so I'm sure that helps somewhat. I also generally connect to it from various other PCs via RDP so it's technically a "server" .

Attached is the chart layout I typically trade from - pretty "stock" list of indicators using range bars (exclusively) with the exception of a custom one I wrote at the bottom that identifies Europe market times vs. US and the current market "velocity" (pseudo-heat map) that shows how long a given range bar took to generate.

-Guy
Please register on futures.io to view futures trading content such as post attachment(s), image(s), and screenshot(s).

Follow me on Twitter Visit my Facebook Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Fu510n for this post: