Tell me about internet speed | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Tell me about internet speed

Administrator: Retired Backtester
Rennes France

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker/Data: IB/Kinetick
Favorite Futures: Futures

eric73 View Post
Hi Revan,
Form an IT perspective you can open up a command prompt (in Windows) and type in ping -t targetname...

Like >ping -t Google

And this starts a continuous ping going towards the target's ipname, or you could use an IP address.

We often do this on our internal networks to see if an address is dropping packets. You may have a really low latency on a set of connections but one end may be "flapping in the breeze". If you have a connection that is fairly stable and is not dropping packets, I would echo the sentiment of the others in the room...don't worry too much about the latency issues. Make sure you can always get through to your broker/dealer to close out your position if something bad happens.

Eric.

CQG servers are not pingable, so to get an idea of the latency tracert can be used (tracert cqginsyd001i.cqgnet.com for a CQG server in Sydney).

Success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 4 users say Thank You to sam028 for this post: