Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions?

Market Wizard
Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw daytradr
Favorite Futures: US Equity Index Futures

LaissezFaire View Post
How much time is spent daily to create your journal now that your system is in place? Would you mind posting some screens on how this look?

Hi,
The journal is in three sections:

The green section doesn't change often and just requires a little box ticking at the end of a session. The goals seem quite simple but the aim for me is to focus on repeating good patterns of behaviour so that they become natural good habits and therefore training myself to instinctively be acting well most of the time. With future more challenging goals/habit forming I will probably only focus on one goal at a time.
The orange section is completed premarket. It takes about fifteen minutes. A little cutting and pasting (calendar from Econoday/Bloomberg, charts from Tradovate-trading platform), copying across of numbers and then basic chart analysis.
The blue section is completed after my trading has finished and takes about twenty minutes or so. I tried filling in some of this during the trading session but found it too distracting and now do it afterwards. I have a vertical monitor next to my platform monitor which has the journal up showing the green and orange sections so I can see/remind myself of my rules, goals and premarket analysis during the trading session.

A while ago I posted some excel rotation study spreadsheets which have been downloaded 20 times in total. Only one person took the trouble to click the thanks button.
I don't think my journal is anything special but if you or Bobwest or LDog, who have thanked my post above at this point in time, try Evernote and like it I can send you a copy of this journal page to import. I always find it easier learning a new program having a working template to gradually adjust to my requirements rather than trying to build something new from scratch straight away. Evernote does have some downloadable starter templates but they are mostly basic business checklist human resources type stuff. If interested send me a friend request and then I can PM it to any of you three.

Trading, ideally structured, is a vehicle for expanding consciousness, not damaging it. - Brett Steenbarger
Attached Thumbnails
Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions?-1.png   Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions?-2.png   Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions?-3.png  
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 11 users say Thank You to matthew28 for this post: