Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Daily (personal) trading journal & P&L - Suggestions?

Oslo + Norway

matthew28 View Post
There was an FT71 webinar a few months back where he mentioned that he uses Evernote for journaling. I had never heard of it so had a look at it and installed the free version. That version has an upload limit of 60mb a month. I use it just for a comprehensive daily trade journal and use about a third of that allowance.
Initially I thought Evernote seemed a bit clunky and difficult to use but now that I have evolved a daily diary page that I am happy with, recording: premarket analysis and levels, goals, chart pics and today's important calendar news, market thoughts during the session; and finally post market review and a chart showing all my trades.
I used to write my diary in a handwritten journal but I found it was inconsistent and sometimes a struggle to read back. With Evernote I just duplicate the last page and swap pictures and rewrite the review sections. But the main advantage is that each day I add half a dozen tags to a page (you can add up to one hundred), and then I can easily sort and analyse pages, eg tags for 'Traded Poorly' or 'Missed Trade' or different instruments, days of the week etc. It makes it much easier to be able to look back at particular aspects and see patterns, set specific training goals to work on and generally learn something useful from your journal.

I thought this was an interesting suggestion.

How much time is spent daily to create your journal now that your system is in place? Would you mind posting some screens on how this look?

If not - completely understand. I'm not the best on sharing either...

The following user says Thank You to LaissezFaire for this post: