Anyone find any edge with activity based charts over time based charts? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Anyone find any edge with activity based charts over time based charts?

Oslo + Norway

Anyone find any edge with activity based charts over time based charts?

Hi all,

My main chart for day trading (ES) is the 1-minute chart. I find that most of the time this chart gives a good summary of the price action without too much noise. At times of heightened volatility as seen recently, it can be too blunt. A solution during these periods of time may simply be to use a second chart instead, i.e., 30-second or less.

As I'm working on my charting methodology again, I want to once again explore other options. I know many people seem to prefer volume charts or tick charts over time based charts. Some utilize a combination.

In the past I've done in depth studies of volume, tick and range, but I have yet found a huge advantage over time based charts. IMO, quite often they visually look the same. The exception is during times of huge volatility, but as mentioned, this can be solved by simply using a sub-minute time frame instead.

Any comments?

Which charts do you use for day trading?

PS: I seem to recall that volume/tick charts would form some nice 'bases' on swing highs and lows the last time I trialed them, but this pattern seems to be gone now.

Thanks in advance.

LaissezFaire

The following user says Thank You to LaissezFaire for this post: