paper trade | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

paper trade

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

suran View Post
hi guys,

can anybody could tell me what is the difference between demo trade and paper trade? how can i paper trade?

much appreciate

Hi suran, welcome to the forum.

Generally, there is no difference between the two terms - they both indicate trades that are not real (i.e. when no real money is at stake).

If one wants to look at the finer details, probably paper trade was used when there was no SIM technology, and was called so because one would note down on paper entry and exit, acting as their own simulators.

Demo/SIM trading is probably an improvement on paper trading, because some systems (not all) give you a more realistic feel for how your trades would behave. On today's trading platform you also get nice stats such as overall PnL, MAE, MFE, trade duration, etc., which you would not have when just paper trading (you could still calculate them but it would take an inordinate amount of time compared to today's technology).

Hope it helps.

The following user says Thank You to xplorer for this post: