TPO and forex | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

TPO and forex

Legendary Elite_Member
Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw daytradr
Favorite Futures: US Equity Index Futures

The main thing to be aware of for TPO or traditional market profiling is that all half hour bars are equal. In that I mean the volume during the Asian session is light which is taken account of in volume profiling but with TPOs or half hour bars each bar has the same validity. This is especially relevant for the POC calculation and the Initial Balance.

One method of Market Profiling I have seen used by Forex traders is to build profiles only for the global session they intend to trade. Therefore a UK trader might have a Profile from 8am -4.30pm only (or start it at 7am to include the European open, the IB might then be one or two hours). This would give a POC and IB based on the data session you trade. Everything else would be considered as the overnight session. This would also give opening gaps showing whether sentiment had changed markedly from when the UK session closed.

Or if still wanting to see all the data then a day could be divided in to three profiles, one for the Asian session, Euro/UK session, and the US session.

Trading, ideally structured, is a vehicle for expanding consciousness, not damaging it. - Brett Steenbarger
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to matthew28 for this post: