Understanding of tick volume | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Understanding of tick volume

Clemmons

tick

iantg,

Thanks for the insight. Reading through your very technical blog, I appreciate your comments and your in-depth research, wisdom and experience.

I am looking for one or both of the following in a tick tool: Positive and ongoing confirmation of a trend direction, or a predictive entry indicator (like seeing a build of up pressure before a big uptrend). I have seen @shadowtrader promo his cumulative tick tool on one of his weekend updates and thought it looked interesting, so I'm trying to explore that or similar ideas. I am (getting) pretty adept at personalizing and customizing existing studies/code, but I am no programmer.

My current indicators-of-choice usually give good entry/exit signals, but sometimes show me the exit on the first pull back of a very long leg up, meaning I miss the juicy part of the trade. Or worse, indicators will show buy signals on every minor pop of a long leg down, creating a recurring bull trap.

I'm using:
  • Forecast Oscillator as a predictive entry/exit too, but it can be very choppy unless the trend is strong.
  • CCIs and multi-frame RSIs to confirm specific entry points. These can be late on entry and exit, minimizing profits.
  • SMA ribbon as a visual confirmation of trends and changes. Untwisting the ribbon is a good confirmation for a new trend after a consolidation period.
  • Ultimate Oscillator as a buying pressure gauge and for top/bottom divergences.

I am NOT using MACD, True Strength and similar tools, which work some of the time, but can also give very bad signals in extended trends. I've watched a MACD rise in a market that was cascading down, and visa versa. I like tools that show strong correlation, especially if they keep me from losing. I also have not seen a correlation of volume of trade count be a good indicator at all.

I normally stick with 1, 2 or 5min charts for day trades, but just flipped over to a 10-tick and a 25-tick and loved the good entry and exit points (with a few falsies thrown in). I'm still testing to see which is more profitable, tick or minute, or both together.

What I look for in a new tool is a strong and consistent correlation to entry/exit.

I'm not sure if this helps, but any ideas you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated!

Humbly, scottm