Understanding of tick volume | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Understanding of tick volume

Mianyang China

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Multicharts
Broker/Data: broker: Oanda
Favorite Futures: HSI, DAX, ES

iantg View Post
Hi jiaqiangmit,

I may be able to help. In order to best understand trade volume relative to tick volume you will need to run this on a 1 tick data series, anything other than this will aggregate data and you will not be able to deconstruct tick volume relative to trade volume. From a 1 tick data series, each tick volume = the total volume because the data is granular down to each individual trade.

Alternatively if we run this up to a 5 tick time series we may find that with 5 individual trades you have the following.

Trade 1: Volume = 1
Trade 2: Volume = 4
Trade 3: Volume = 5
Trade 4: Volume = 10
Trade 5: Volume = 1

So the reported volume would be 21, and the number of ticks would be 5. You can infer that the average trade size was 21 / 5 = 4.1 roughly. But you will not be able to see the granularity of each trade once you aggregate your data.

I am not sure what you are looking for exactly because you didn't mention what time series your example data was, how it was constructed, but either way the tick volume would be the total volume of all trades that compose is, so 21 would be the total tick volume.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks, I was not sure "tick volume is the price change".
price
-------------
let's suppose this is 1 tick data for one minute. There are 6 trades made, the first two price is the same, so the "price change" is 5? In this case the tick volume is 6 or 5?
Thanks.