Can Day Trading be profitable for retail? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Can Day Trading be profitable for retail?

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

jefforey View Post
I have tried many strategies some just having one trade per day to as many as 20 trades per day. I have tried trailing stoploss types and profit target types but all of them fail to return consistently. There are 2 or 3 great months but rest of the months give away the gains. But the caveat is that if the same strategy is run by Goldman Sachs then it will be immensely profitable. And this very fact raises my doubt. Is retail day-trading a myth created by Goldman Sachs and others to create liquidity for their own trades. After all even they need a counterparty.

I've checked the original post again and just realized I had not noticed the bits that I have put in bold.

I don't have the figures at hand myself (maybe @choke35 or some other folks can chime in) but if you saw what percentage of the volume is contributed by retail Vs. institutional (I use institutional to class all non-retail), you would appreciate how misguided your premise is.

The following 3 users say Thank You to xplorer for this post: