Can Day Trading be profitable for retail? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Can Day Trading be profitable for retail?

New York, NY

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker/Data: Yahoo Finance
Favorite Futures: Mutual funds

kevinkdog View Post
Not sure I fully understand your chart, but does this chart represent individual trades, or traders?

What I am getting at, if you can share it, is what percent of small traders have made money since inception, and what % of large trader have made money since inception?

If you can't share or don't want to, no big deal, just please say so.

For reference, I was talking with a forex broker a while back, and he said that 91+% of accounts were unprofitable...

The horizontal axis is gross (brokerage fees excluded) PnL of individual trades.

The vertical axis is cumulative probability, meaning probability that a trade makes profit of up to the amount on the horizontal axis.

If you see the orange curve, the cumulative probability of making $0 is around 79% for the group of traders in the orange curve. This means that only 21% of trades taken by accounts categorized in that group make positive gross PnL.

I can express this by cumulative profit of individual accounts on the horizontal axis too to arrive at the statistic you asked your broker for, but that isn't as a meaningful as knowing the outcome of individual trades because it's harder to normalize accounts as they have subscriptions and withdrawals, different account length etc.

Trimming it down a lot: 79% of trades taken by small accounts lose money (to market maker). Does this make sense?

The following 9 users say Thank You to artemiso for this post: