Can Day Trading be profitable for retail? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Can Day Trading be profitable for retail?

Houston Texas

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Favorite Futures: CL, YM, NQ, ES

jefforey View Post
My opinion is : No, It cannot be profitable. I have been backtesting, simulating, live testing for the last 5 years and my opinion is that given the commissions, slippage etc retail user cannot be profitable consistently. But if the same strategy is run by a broker (who does not pay commission on his own trades) it will be immensely profitable. Add co-location which further improves the chances of limit order execution and decrease slippage the profit increases further. Add reduced exchange fees (some brokers have this privilege) than profits increase further. What is your opinion? My observations are based on trading es and other index futures like nifty etc.

So you assume if you can't do it nobody can?

And your comment about co-location shows me you have not really traded in the live markets. Yeah slippage and order fill is a real issue, occasionally, but it does not make or break a successful discretionary retail day trader.

The following 5 users say Thank You to dannyinhouston for this post: