Can Day Trading be profitable for retail? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Can Day Trading be profitable for retail?

Market Wizard
Cleveland Ohio/United States

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker/Data: Tradestation, DeCarley, others
Favorite Futures: futures

jefforey View Post
SMCJB, How do you know that kevin's automated day-trading is profitable? maybe it's not. or maybe he is not day-trading at all. People posting on this thread except, maybe Ian, have taken exception to my suspicion against day trading. As if day trading is holier than thou. How dare you question day trading? Well, I am going to rely on data and facts than on hearsay and myth. That is why I asked people to post backtest results. Not their strategy but just the results.
Do I know a successful Doctor? Yes.
Do I know a successful banker? Yes.
Do I know a successful builder? Yes.
Do I know a successful broker who has day-trading clients? Yes.
Do I know a successful day trader? No.

I am not convinced, yet, that day trading is a profitable venture for retail traders or any traders. Isn't this the reason why HFT was invented? The issue is that a lot of tool/strategy vendors, brokers etc want us all to believe that day trading is profitable on a consistent basis. It is upon our wisdom to see through it.

Just to clarify, I'd consider my trading to be more of swing trading futures, rather than day trading futures. I have only a handful of day trading futures strategies - most of my other strategies are swing strategies (trades lasting days or weeks).

If you have any questions please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io "Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to kevinkdog for this post: