Start point for daily VWAP? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Start point for daily VWAP?

Chicago, Illinois

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader, TT, InvestorRT
Broker/Data: Advantage Futures, Ninja/TT and InvestorRT/IQFeed.
Favorite Futures: Treasury futures

forgiven View Post
if you look at the past days settlement and the current days open . the inblance is called the overnight inventory .. if most of the trading is above the settlement the inventory is stacked long , reverse that for short. or if not neather its blanced. 70% of the time the market maker will fade the inbalance and it will retest the settlement. the wider the gap the less the % is it will fill. so i do not run a vwap on the globex for those reasons.

Interesting. So, at least in the markets you trade, Globex tends to mean revert towards the settlement after the RTH close. Well, in oil there's certainly not much volume after RTH until Europe opens. Which means as the day progresses the trade between 2:30 PM ET and about 3 AM ET won't affect the daily VWAP that much anyway.

On a side note, I used to work with a bunch of guys in a prop group (they were in the group, I was a friend of the heads of the group and traded my own money, but in their facility) who made most of their living fading after hours moves in the US Treasury yield curve. These guys traded with DOMs only, no charts. The proprietors of the group were former CBOT pit traders like myself; one of them had clerked for me on the floor back in the day. I've kind of been away from the market since 2006 and things have changed a lot since then. VWAP was not yet a thing back then. LOL!

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows..."
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 3 users say Thank You to jstnbrg for this post: