what happens when contracts end | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

what happens when contracts end

Dayton, Ohio

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS
Favorite Futures: GC, CL, Eurodollar

Jayboii478 View Post
What happens when a contract ends? Like i see contracts on say natural gas that ends on January 2018 then February 2018 and so on, does like when the January contract ends, it just transfer to February now? Or does that future go away and cant be traded anymore?

THanks!

Check with your broker as to when you need to be out of each month's contract - either by rolling or closing.

Otherwise, as someone else said, prepare for delivery! Just kidding!

Unless you're in business of buying/selling actual commodities, I'm sure your broker will make it clear that they don't allow customers to take delivery.

For instance, TD Ameritrade's software, Thinkorswim, tells how many days until expiration, and a call to them will tell you when on those days you have to be out of the futures options and the futures themselves. In what I have traded (gold, crude oil, eurodollar) those two dates are never the same.