How to Break Through in Trading | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

How to Break Through in Trading

Legendary Market Wizard
Cleveland Ohio/United States

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker/Data: Tradestation, DeCarley, others
Favorite Futures: futures

Jeremy1984 View Post
Does this mean I have to learn how to backtest? Or do you recommend me manually going back and checking myself? I pride myself on having an amazing work ethic so whatever it takes I am up to it.

By the way, you'll see differing points of view in this thread: some people will say to backtest, and some people will say not to backtest (don't look in the rearview mirror, etc.)

Obviously, these are wildly different views, although you can do some of each (sort of a hybrid approach).

So, which is right? Both, and neither. You can screw up your trading backtesting, and you can screw up your trading not backtesting.

Ultimately, you have to decide with what makes YOU feel comfortable, something that "fits" your personality. For some people (Typically more analytical thinkers like engineers, scientists, doctors, etc like to backtest. More artistic types do not like to backtest as much, typically) backtesting is the way to go. For others, not.

Whatever you decide, just do not base your decision on what you think is easier (that is what most people do). The easy short cut road is usually more expensive in the long run.

Kevin

P.S. By the way, since I mentioned that you need to find something that "fits" you, anyone here who is interested in this read this post : https://futures.io/trading-reviews-vendors/26335-kj-trading-systems-kevin-davey-...thing-35.html#post663876

Years ago, I bought a $600 course, that really helped me build a trading approach that fit me... now I want it to have a good new home...

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 5 users say Thank You to kevinkdog for this post: