Chart reading quandry | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Chart reading quandry

Dayton, Ohio

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: TOS
Favorite Futures: GC, CL, Eurodollar

Chart reading quandry

My favorite trading vehicle is /CL (crude oil futures).

I don't know whether my chart (or other) indicators are lacking, but recently I've run into a series of price drops or price increases that come out of nowhere and continue for brief or longer period of time, then trading resumes its normal somewhat up/somewhat down pattern.

For instance, in the attached pic, on the left, crude dropped from $58.80 to $58.30 in the span of a minute to a minute and a half. BOOM! I saw nothing to indicate that it was coming, nor did I have a feel for when it was going to end, until the price had moved back up to $58.40 - then I figured that $58.30 was a short-term bottom.

I try to capture a nickel or dime move on 10-20 contracts, and if I was long during such a drop, or short during the reverse, it would be "stressful".

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions about what resources I can seek out, or modifications that I can make to my charts to give me a better feel for price movement so that I can reduce my chances of being caught in such down/updrafts.

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails
Chart reading quandry-clf8.png