Learning Python vs a specific platform lang like EasyLang or Amibroker AFL? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Learning Python vs a specific platform lang like EasyLang or Amibroker AFL?

portland, oregon/ usa

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: tos ib
Favorite Futures: es gc GBPJPY options

Learning Python vs a specific platform lang like EasyLang or Amibroker AFL?

Hey guys, I'm a busy man with no programming knowledge and I'm trying to decide if I should learn Python for backtesting and coding algos versus a platform specific language like Amibroker's AFL for their fast backtesting or Multicharts' Easylanguage.

I wanted to ask the python users here how fast is backtesting in python say compared to Amibroker or Multicharts, and if the learning curve it worth it. My half formed opinion is that learning python would serve me well in other things like machine learning or coding algos and as a nice skill to have outside of trading in other aspects of my career. How hard is getting an detailed intraday multiyear backtest and some monte carlo simulations going in python as compared to the ready made functions in Amibroker?

Thanks

The following user says Thank You to crystalball for this post: