Trader at a BBQ | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Trader at a BBQ

whitestone, new york

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja trader

Grantx View Post
Im interested to know how you deal with the ‘What do you do’ question at social events.
So I was at a BBQ yesterday and going through the usual small talk when the inevitable question of employment popped up. Heres how it went:

------------------------------------------
Other person: So what do you do?

Me: Im a trader.

Other person: So you gamble for a living, haha. I once traded forex and ....
[insert approximately 20 minutes of monologue on how rigged the markets are until eventually Im asked]: So what do you trade?

Me: Actually I trade on the futures market.

Other person: [ignoring my answer] Have you tried Bitcoin?? Bitcoin is amazing! They say its going to be 30,000 in 6 months!!
[Insert about 10 minutes of bitcoin monologue].

Me: Nope. Dont trade bitcoin but Ill look into it. Sounds amazing.

Other person: Yeah man do that! If you had bought $50 two years ago you would be rich now...
[monologue about how rich I would be if I had got in a few years back and how easy the money is]

Me: Sweet. Thanks. Ill try and remember that. Um..Im just going to go over there and get myself a drink Ill catch you later.
[I go somewhere else and get into another conversation].

New person: So what do you do?

Me: Im a tool and die maker.

[End of occupation question]
------------------------------------------

great stuff Grantx....no doubt, beeen there many times...as an ....aspiring trader, im actually in a less favorable position.What do I say, ...."im trying to be a day trader"....never a fun place to be for me.Heres a good one...I actually am a stay at home dad.My wfe has a good job, and I refuse to hire someone to watch my kids while I go back to work.Telling people that at parties gets a different reaction every time....But typically, they utter something like "well,thats pretty noble," or "wow , im impressed" or some other horse %$#@ line.I make it a point to never ask people I meet what they do.IMO, trying to be a consistent trader has been the hardest thing i have ever done.We all know the challenges that have to be overcome,and then some putz at a party tells you about bitcoin

Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 8 users say Thank You to bobarian for this post: