Comparing Slippage in Different Futures | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Comparing Slippage in Different Futures

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

Catalyst View Post
Hi all. I am trying to determine what futures symbols reliably fill market orders with low 1-2 tick slippage like the ES. Symbols that are appropriate for someone who scalps for 6-10 ticks.

I am working on a strategy in which I want to monitor as many markets as possible for my signals, and I don’t know how other futures markets compare to the ES as far as slippage goes. I am only aiming for a max of 10 ticks on most trades, so the slippage on the losses will be crucial.

Watching the L2 data I see that many futures trade with spreads of 1-2 ticks, despite much, much lower volume than the ES, which makes me wonder if they are equally reliable despite the much lower trading volume.

NQ, TF, CL, YM, NG, HO, RB, GC, SI, ZN, ZF, ZB, 6E, 6J, 6B, ZC, ZS. Would these be good markets to scalp on?

In general, as far as retail trading goes, I'd say that slippage is a consequence of low liquidity. The lower liquidity an instrument has, the more chances of slippage.

Thinner markets such as CL or GC tend to have more slippage. This behaviour can be exacerbated by time where a scheduled data release takes place or certain major news events are announced.

The following 3 users say Thank You to xplorer for this post: