Over-optimization and Roll Over Dates | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Over-optimization and Roll Over Dates

Houston, TX

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 7
Favorite Futures: NQ

Yeah, I would definitely NOT optimize your rollover date. You could end up picking a rollover date too early (excessive slippage due to low liquidity) or too late (broker liquidates your position to avoid taking delivery). Plus, I would consider it overfitting your strategy big time.

IMO, every trader needs to verify that their trading software is using realistic rollover dates to create continuous charts.

Example of software with bad rollover dates: NinjaTrader 7. The rollover date for Gold Dec 17 was set as July 31. Guess what? My broker called me up on July 27 and said that my long Gold Aug 17 contract would be liquidated at close on July 28 if I kept the position open. Clearly, the rollover date should've been set to July 27 or 28.

The following user says Thank You to ShatteredX for this post: