The question of an edge | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The question of an edge

Elite_Member
Wiltshire, United Kingdom

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw daytradr
Favorite Futures: US Equity Index Futures

kevinkdog View Post
Negative expectancy trading method, Excellent psychology, money management, discipline : You LOSE

By the way, the expectancy description was good, but way too complicated.

Simple:

Expectancy = Average Trade

I put the cart before the horse spending a lot of time reading books on trading psychology and a couple of home study courses. Very interesting and I don't regret any of it as I feel it has been very beneficial for me as a person. But I feel it is similar to performance coaching for a sportsman which is done to enhance results and is best worked on after the basic techniques and abilities have become almost subconcious. I spent too much time on 'increasing performance' with out having the foundation of a valid trading methodology to build upon.

And I agree about expectancy. After looking at expectancy formulas that all seemed to differ from Van Tharp's in varying degrees of complexity I also just use the average trade. If after 100 contracts/Round Turns traded I have made $1,000 I see my expectancy as $10/Round Turn.

Last edited by matthew28; July 17th, 2017 at 03:36 AM. Reason: clarity
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to matthew28 for this post: