The question of an edge | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The question of an edge

Legendary Market Wizard
Cleveland Ohio/United States

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker/Data: Tradestation, DeCarley, others
Favorite Futures: futures

Grantx View Post
@kevinkdog

I see now the importance of expectancy however as a day trader I just cannot accept that expectancy is at the top of my hierarchy of needs.

Here's my point: regardless of your style of trading, if you don't have a way(s) of entry and exit that over the long haul produces profit, nothing else matters - you will lose.

Too many people think journaling, or money management, or psychology, etc. is the key to making them profitable. Not true!

Think of it like roulette. Many people invent money management schemes, record past data, journal their thoughts on how to win, etc. And you know what? They still all lose in the long run. Why? Because they are playing a negative expectancy game - the odds are not in their favor.

That is why I put expectancy at the top of the list. If your trading method - whatever it is - does not have a long term positive expectancy, then all those other things do not matter. Having all those other things may help you lose money more slowly, but you will still lose money in the long run.

The ironic (and confusing) part of this is that even if you do have a long term positive expectancy method, bad/lack of money management, psychology, etc can still make you a loser. It is like this:

Negative expectancy trading method, Poor psychology, money management, discipline : You LOSE
Negative expectancy trading method, Excellent psychology, money management, discipline : You LOSE
Positive expectancy trading method, Poor psychology, money management, discipline : You LOSE
Positive expectancy trading method, Excellent psychology, money management, discipline : You WIN

I hope this clarifies it.

By the way, the expectancy description was good, but way too complicated.

Simple:

Expectancy = Average Trade

(Van Tharp also has an expectancy I call "Tharp Expectancy" = avg trade/avg losing trade)

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 9 users say Thank You to kevinkdog for this post: