The question of an edge | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The question of an edge

Salt Lake City, Utah

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: Jigsaw, NinjaTrader8
Favorite Futures: ZB

Some things are difficult to backtest, but not impossible. For instance you can record the level 2 data, and write a bot that trades it. If you can't program you can just trade against an old days worth of data. That's why I have a journal where I post a video of my jigsaw DOM. So I can go back, review old data.

You can also forward test. It's ok to say there is a human element to your trades. However, without categorizing your trades by signal, and tracking the win/loss percentage, average win, and average loss, there is no way to know what your expectancy is. A signal could mean the opposite of what you thing, but because you don't track it you might never notice. Hence why it is critical to journal your trades.

The following 3 users say Thank You to TWDsje for this post: