The question of an edge | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The question of an edge

Market Wizard
Cleveland Ohio/United States

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker/Data: Tradestation, DeCarley, others
Favorite Futures: futures

Grantx View Post
Positive expectancy is the sum of the parts and fluctuates along in direct response to the input. Its a representation of how disciplined you are with all the points listed (and others).

Firstly, to ask the question 'what do you think of this or that strategy' is a silly thing to ask in the first place. But equally baffling is to ask whats your edge or do you have a positive expectancy? Edge and expectancy is only relevant right now, because these metrics can change. You cant rely on your expectancy for anything. Or can you? What do you do with it?

I'm unsure how to answer your questions, but I will share this:

1. Any hedge fund or Commodity Trading Advisor will always ask you what you think your edge is, if they want you to trade with them

2. Just because you have an edge the last week/month/year/decade does not guarantee you'll have one the next week/month/year/decade

3. If you do not know what your edge is, chances are you probably do not even have one

If you have any questions please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io "Ask Me Anything" thread

Last edited by kevinkdog; July 14th, 2017 at 03:25 PM.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 5 users say Thank You to kevinkdog for this post: