The question of an edge | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The question of an edge

Market Wizard
Cleveland Ohio/United States

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Tradestation
Broker/Data: Tradestation, DeCarley, others
Favorite Futures: futures

Grantx View Post
Dude: I want to try this new strategy on this instrument what do ya-all think?
Trader: Whats your statistical back tested edge?
Dude: .............

How do you reduce something so complex down to a single question like that and expect an answer? Most times it can take an entire journal and we still wont know what a traders edge is.

Can it be reduced down to a mere statistic?

Yes, it is called expectancy.

If you don't have positive expectancy, many of the other things on your list (iron clad discipline, superior money management, thousands of hours of screen time, journaling, etc) become irrelevant.

But, if you do have a positive expectancy edge, many of those items you listed DO become important. Example: with poor money management, you can easily get wiped out even with a positive expectancy system.

It all starts with positive expectancy - if you lack that, you will eventually be screwed.

Think of it like building a castle. You need a solid foundation (Positive expectancy) before building the castle (other items in your list). Because as Jimi Hendrix said "castles made of sand, fall in the sea, eventually."

If you have any questions please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io "Ask Me Anything" thread
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following 10 users say Thank You to kevinkdog for this post: