help getting Wannacry patch for windows 7 | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

help getting Wannacry patch for windows 7

Point Roberts, WA, USA

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: IB and free NT
Broker/Data: IB
Favorite Futures: ES

sam028 View Post
If you don't have a public IP and don't share an SMB volume you can't be hacked this way.
Of course installing Windows updates on a regular basis is highly recommended.

1. When you say not have a public IP are you saying that only places with a registered domain IP?
(so the info on the net about clicking on an attachment doesn't apply? and it is only people on a corp intranest where the intranet is connected to a registered domain?)

2. not sure what SMB volume is.

3. For myself installing windows updates is not highly recommended. Doing this makes my system unstable. Their updates can and do cause endless hours of updating other software. Requiring other updates etc.

Its easy for some with endless hours of free time to dance for Mircosoft - but mircosoft doesn't pay me. I have limited time and useless work for MS means losing my time for my work. I doubt they will write on my tombstone "He always updated his computer regularly though accomplished little else in life."

If the previous poster was correct that security essentials protected me then I was always protected, So updating for this patch was not required.
- though this was not clear from either the limited info of internet posts on wannacry or Microsoft.

For many years microsoft has worked to help the invasion of your privacy by incorporating spyware in their updates to help out big brother. Regular updates makes sure the latest and biggest holes are there. (IMO) This is behind the sleazy force to Windows 10

Keep your mind in the future, in the now.

Last edited by aquarian1; May 17th, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote