Slippage and spread? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Slippage and spread?

Legendary Guesser
Reading UK

Trading Experience: None
Platform: Prorealtime
Broker/Data: Interactive Brokers
Favorite Futures: My 3 boys

xplorer View Post
In futures, spread simply means the distance/difference in ticks between where you can buy and where you can sell.

As you say, round trip cost is fixed in futures. The fact that - in most markets, most of the time - the spread is zero (you can say either zero ticks or 1 tick depending on how you look at it) is thanks to these products being highly liquid. However during a data release liquidity dries up so usually the spread widens in a fashion not dissimilar to Forex. For instance if you watch 6E 30-15 seconds before NFP data comes out, the spread can widen significantly. Occasionally you will see the spread widen considerably on CL before EIA release.

As for the slippage question I don't have an answer I am 100% sure about.

Ok, so lets say that we have an extreme condition and there is a 30 tick spread, If I had to drop an order somewhere in between that spread and be a lone minion with a single contract just sitting in the middle of nowhere, does that mean it will get lifted at that price by the imminent rampage?

Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote