Help me stop obsessing over TICK charts! | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Help me stop obsessing over TICK charts!

Marin County, CA USA

karentrader View Post
There is no right or wrong answer. That is the answer.

On some days, the Tick chart would look better to you (in hindsight). For others, the time chart.

People are a bit too quick to dismiss time charts. They are great at showing fast volatility whereas on tick/volume charts you would have to often figure out the time spent on each bar. Also, volume on the chart, if you have an edge with it.

Personally, I use a combo of volume charts and very fast timeframe time charts. I also keep a time chart up of the same frequency as the volume chart just to see a different perspective.

If you don't want random numbers, simply choose a timeframe you like to trade on, put volume on the bottom of it, and a high period m.a. over the volume. Set your volume chart to that average. Now you have a volume chart that should be a similar frequency to the time chart of your choosing.

Time in bar is irrelevant. Only price matters.