How is my stop triggered? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

How is my stop triggered?

Legendary Guesser
Reading UK

Trading Experience: None
Platform: Prorealtime
Broker/Data: Interactive Brokers
Favorite Futures: My 3 boys

matthew28 View Post

As Xplorer said the order is activated when a contract trades at that level, but with Ninjatrader the stop orders are kept on your computer and only sent to the exchange/broker when they are hit.

Hang on just a sec. I asked this question about where stops are located with Ninjatrader support and they said the following:

Quoting 
Once orders receive an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, they reside at the exchange or at the broker servers. If NinjaTrader is shut down or disconnected, orders still execute as per market dynamics. You can view the order status in the Control Center-->Orders-tab, State column.

Volume stops are stored locally and therefore a lot more risky, but standard stops are stored server side. My understanding so far is that the stop is a market order executed by the broker as soon as price reaches that level. These stops are hidden from other participants and no one can see where your 'pain' is.

Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Grantx for this post: