BackTesting and Programming Planning | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

BackTesting and Programming Planning

Houston

ClutchAce View Post
Hello goodoboy,
For your situation and aims, sounds like Ninja would be a good first step. Looks like a lot of the more-traveled traders here have migrated to SierraChart (C++), but if you're comfortable in C# then yea stick to Ninja.

Check out Robert Carver's book 'Systematic Trading' and his blog: qoppac.blogspot.co.uk - TONS of well-qualified treatises written by him on the realities of designing/building/testing the core framework and strategies, as well as free access to his open-source trading platform, pysystemtrade (not 'beta' release-grade per his disclaimer; written in Python). I think he's got both feet on the ground in his philosophy and approach, versus some of the alternatives around the interwebs.

(Mod note: I'm not a vendor, not advertising Rob's book, just a recommendation)

Thank you so much ClutchAce for the response.

I am currently reading Building Winning Algorithmic Trading Systems by Kevin Davey and will add Robert's book on the list as well.

Yes, I agree, NinjaTrader will be best for me right now. Its simple and don't want to get to overwhelmed. Plus I can trial for 30 days. TradeStation has no trial, unless deposit money to them. Its all learning and one thing I learned over the course of 2 weeks is, it is best to know how other traders are making money, not just discretionary trading.

I went to the blog and been reviewing, very professional so far.

Thanks,