BackTesting and Programming Planning | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

BackTesting and Programming Planning

Houston

BackTesting and Programming Planning

Hello,

Great to be here.

I been trading futures for about 2-3 years. Unprofitable, but dedicated.

I currently paper trade discretionary a strategy that's been improperly backtested for 2-3 months. In other words, I am manually backtesting and every 1 or 2 weeks, I think of an extra parameter to test and the work is just flat our inefficient and time consuming manual backtesting something that may not work.

After lots of research and reading, I am deciding to learn to code my ideas/strategy via a trader platform. I have not programmed (#C ) since college, 8 years ago, but I am great a logical thinking in a coding sense.

So i am looking for some help planning my next +year of trading plan effectively.

To begin, I am NOT trading with real money until I have 1 or 2 systems that I have thourghly backtested, papertraded, forward manual tested and automated sim traded. Period!! However long it takes, its getting done right this time. Tired of losing money with no historical proven strategy. And manual backtesting is just taking too long and too much room for error and mistracking data.

My Situation:
Full time working (about 45 hours per week). I would like to evenutally automate trades, so I don't have to sneak and take trades at work in the early morning.
family, with one child
decent size money for trading.

Trading Instruments:
ES,CL, NQ

Number of contracts trading:
1-3

Goals:
$500 to $1000 per week in trading income. 2-3 trades per day. Automated Trading since i work full time. I currently paper discretionary trade from a system I back tested for 2- 3 months.

Trading Experience:
3 years of chart price action screen time. I have about 4 trading ideas i would like to program and backtest. no more manual backtesting, takes too long and too tedious. unless backtest for about 50 sample points to see if idea is worth programming.

Please advise if my plan going forward is suggested or not.

1. Learn how to program NinjaTrader platform in #C. Not sure why I chose NT, I accept recommendations of other platforms. I read that NinjaTrader is good for newbie programmers.
Any recommendations on programming courses in #C for NinjaTrader? I do not mind investing money in my trading learning to quickening my learning curve.

2. Currently reading Building Winning Algorithmic Trading Systems, + Website: A Trader's Journey From Data Mining to Monte Carlo Simulation to Live Trading (Wiley Trading) by Kevin Dansey. Kevin recommends TradeStation but TradeStation wants $5000 deposit to use their platform, NT is free trial for a month.

2. Start programming some simple strategies to learn the platform.

3. Backtest the simple strategies

4. Proceed to programming my own strategies.

Any recommendations on programming courses? Or platform for my situation.