Desktop/screen management and eliminating window resizing from my life | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Desktop/screen management and eliminating window resizing from my life

Raleigh NC/USA

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Favorite Futures: stocks

Desktop/screen management and eliminating window resizing from my life

I'm running multiple monitors (4 at the moment, will soon be 5) on a Windows 7 system, and use VirtuaWin to switch between virtual desktops. For those not familiar with VirtuaWin, each virtual desktop will use all monitors. For example, I use 3 virtual desktops, each with 4 screens (1 for email and general browsing; 1 for trading; 1 for research).

This works great, but one annoyance is constantly resizing windows on my trading virtual desktop. I'd like to split/subdivide the screens and snap charts and other windows to the subdivided portions of the screen instead of manually resizing windows. But instead of a very simple screen splitter, I'd like:

1. the ability to customize the size of the screen subdivisions, not just be limited to equal sized 1x2, 2x1 or 2x2 splits.

2. the ability to work with IB Trader Workstation (or other Java-based apps) - these windows aren't recognized by a screen splitter like MaxTo, so maximizing them fills the entire screen.

3. the ability to maximize streaming video (e.g., CNBC) into one of these screen subdivisions. Basic screen splitters, such as MaxTo, cannot do this - if you maximize the video, it fills the entire screen. So you're left with sizing the screen subdivision to fit the video at the size you want, along with the wasted window real estate of the header, scroll bar, etc. This is clearly a first world problem, so I can live with MaxTo, but if there's a better mousetrap . . . The foregoing may not be particularly clear, so I'll explain another way. Let's say I have a 2x2 split screen with CNBC streaming in a browser in one quadrant. I'd like to hit the maximize button on the video and have video fill the entire quadrant and NOT the entire screen.

Last edited by swinger; December 15th, 2016 at 04:23 AM.