The sharing/not sharing dilemma | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The sharing/not sharing dilemma

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

DionysusToast View Post
My take on this is fairly simple - you can lead a horse to water but you can't tell him when to buy and sell

Show a trader how to make money and they'll say "that looks a bit complicated, I think I'll look for something simpler".

My exposure to the prop world is one where an decent traders teach interns. Interns mayl see a superstar trader in the shop but until they "pay their dues", those great traders wont help them out. If they are still around after 18-24 months, they might find that the trader they aspire to be like is helping them out a bit more. It's not snobbishness - it's just a matter of seeing a lot of people come & go.

In other words - in professional trading, the baseline is that someone who knows how to profit will teach you - they may not be the best trader in the shop - but they can teach you how to trade - even then 80% of those aspiring traders will fail.

It's like any sport - you might be taught by a coach that was good in his prime but not a world pro. It's still down to you whether you actually make anything of it & even then a lot of it is about whether you were born a certain way or not.

The problem in the retail world is that there's too many people that don't know how to trade that are teaching people how to trade. That muddies the water somewhat and horses never drink muddy water...

Pariah Carey View Post
I agree that with trading you can tell the whole world about your system or style, and it's not going to affect your edge. It may different in other industries, like where you've actually created a product and want to patent it, but you can't really patent a trading system.

Richard Dennis said we could publish the turtle rules in the paper and still most people wouldn't be able to make money off it (though they kept the actual system a closely guarded secret). It just goes to show you that psych, discipline and money management are the true edge, not indicators or a system.

But don't say that to the quants.

Thanks gents.

So, do I infer from your posts above that you two believe some people are open to sharing their primary trading methodology? Sorry if you said so and it wasn't clear.