The sharing/not sharing dilemma | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

The sharing/not sharing dilemma

Super Moderator
London UK

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG
Broker/Data: S5
Favorite Futures: Futures

The sharing/not sharing dilemma

Hulk View Post
If I had the control or power to do this, I would have this embedded in everyone's subconsciousness. You cannot make money trading by "following" some vendor. Just cannot, cannot, cannot.

No one shares their primary money making system - NO ONE! I will never be convinced that someone, out of the goodness of his heart or "to give back to the community" is sharing his edge. This is THE most competitive business in the world folks. People just do not share their edge. That's the truth.

When you go work for a hedge fund, even as a short-term consulting gig, the first thing you sign is a non-disclosure, non-compete agreement. Why do you think that is the case?

I second BM's advice: stop chasing vendors of any kind. Please.

Quoting Hulk from another thread, and I wanted to open up this up for discussion.

Personally I believe in Hulk's first statement

Quoting 
You cannot make money trading by "following" some vendor. Just cannot, cannot, cannot.

But I'd like to bounce off a few thoughts on the second one

Quoting 
No one shares their primary money making system - NO ONE! I will never be convinced that someone, out of the goodness of his heart or "to give back to the community" is sharing his edge. This is THE most competitive business in the world folks. People just do not share their edge. That's the truth.

While trading is certainly one of the most competitive activities, I do wonder if nobody really shares their primary money-making methodology.
  • For instance, I do remember John Grady saying something like "hell, if I had other 1,000 traders have my same idea, we would be able to push the market higher/lower" type-thing. His logic would thus be "sharing is in my interest"

• I also think that there may be people who perhaps are already wealthy and, while their trading methodology further adds to their wealth, they do not mind sharing what they do because they don't need to live off it, on a basis not too distant from someone giving some of their money to charity

• There's also a psychological component to some, which may be rooted in self-affirmation, self-validation, higher status among a similar group of peers, filling a void of some kind, or simply meeting a mental need, whatever that may be. At the end of the day, if nobody ever did anything for free, there would be no volunteers

Note: With the above I'm not suggesting that trading is a 'gentlemen's club' (credit: @DionysusToast) where everyone is nice to each other. If I had the capital and skills to trap other traders and make money in the process I would not hesitate myself. But my contention is that there must be a percentage of people, however tiny, that don't mind sharing.

So I'd be interested to hear your views. Do you think that nobody truly shares what they do, or do you think that some do?

EDIT: To clarify, for those who haven't read Surviving Day Trading, DionysusToast does not believe trading is a gentlemen's club either

Last edited by xplorer; November 4th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
The following 7 users say Thank You to xplorer for this post: