IB Backtesting and Data Feeds | Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

Review and discuss futures brokers, their requirements and features, or ask questions about brokers and data feeds

IB Backtesting and Data Feeds

Germany

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Other
Favorite Futures: ES, YM, 6E

RAM011558 View Post
Hi,

This is likely a common problem but I have not yet found a solution. I am using Interactive Brokers along with NinjaTrader. The strategy is fairly simple in that it uses moving averages crossovers. I am finding that the positions of these moving averages do not match when using a live feed VS historical data. I am assuming that this is due to the fact that in live, I am receiving tick data but in back test, I am only receiving OHLC bar data. Is this the case? How can this be overcome such that I can use the results of my back testing in real time? Forgive if this is simplistic as I am relatively new to this. Thank you for the help.

The short version: Stop considering IB data as a surrogate for a real-time data feed.

If you bother to use the FIO search then you virtually find hundreds of posts that
clarify the differences.