What causes the ASK and BID price to change? | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

What causes the ASK and BID price to change?

Legendary Market Wizard
Houston, TX

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: XTrader
Broker/Data: Advantage Futures
Favorite Futures: Energy

artemiso View Post
Let's take this example to the extreme. Let's say I'm going to be a market maker on used underwear. No one (I think) wants to buy or sell used underwear because of obvious reasons, and I'd probably be the only market maker for used underwear.

I don't necessarily know what the price of used underwear is, but if someone exploits this to load me with a ton of used underwear with human feces on it, that would be pretty toxic and I'd lose money, so I would bid very low at 100@$0.01. I risk being unable to short locate if someone buys the underwear from me, so I would offer very high at 100@$9999.99.

Now suppose I hear that some pervert is coming around and is buying all the used and unused underwear, I anticipate that the fundamental value of used underwear has gone up because of the underlying demand, and I could widen my offer to 100@$15000.00. No trades are needed for me to price my quotes.

Interesting analogy

The following user says Thank You to SMCJB for this post: