How do you guys deal with this?....Intraday trading = gambling | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

How do you guys deal with this?....Intraday trading = gambling

Market Wizard
Boca Raton

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: Variety
Broker/Data: Optimus Futures, LLC
Favorite Futures: Futures

@KatieD Many have asked this question on this forum, yet I think that you have phrased your questions well and intelligently. I will attempt to answer it with a broad view as I perceive the behavior of the retail trader.

First, the psychology that is associated with trading is very complex and in fact I call it dark psychology, because you or anyone else for that mater, can not always interpret his/her behavior and the motivation behind it. Some things are just DNA. Nevertheless, a belief system that you have about trading will be reflected in your actions. If you think after each trade you place ,whether it is a gamble or a methodical move, I assure you that you will end up gambling.

The market has a random component. Those who don't have a method meet this randomness more frequently(in my opinion). Namely, those who have a "feel" about what will happen typically get stopped out and blame the market being a gambling place. Losses are always interpret as gamble, and wins as good interpretations of chart formations, order flow, etc.

When you use words like "consistent", be very careful. The way you define success in this business will have (again in my opinion) direct affect how long you stay in this business. I suggest that you look at some successful traders with long term record. There are many CTAs (Commodity Trading Advisers who run Managed Futures accounts) who have a 5-10 year track record, and it will allow you to see the strategies they use along with the month to month fluctuations.
I believe this will give you a different perspective, albeit realistic, as far as what defines success or lack of.

I wish you well.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of futures results.

PM with any questions about optimusfutures (800) 771-6748 (561) 367 8686. THERE IS A SUBSTANTIAL RISK OF LOSS IN FUTURES TRADING.
The following 5 users say Thank You to mattz for this post: