Newbie to Futures: Margin relative to account size | Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds

Review and discuss futures brokers, their requirements and features, or ask questions about brokers and data feeds

Newbie to Futures: Margin relative to account size

Legendary Market Chamois
Chicago, IL

Trading Experience: None
Platform: NT8,NT7,TWS,FOREX.COM app
Broker/Data: InteractiveBrokers, NinjaTrader Brokerage FOREX.COM, IQFeed
Favorite Futures: The one I'm creating in the present....ES, ZF, ZN, ZB, FX pairs

matthew28 View Post
Hi Sienna,

Also remember how much an ES contract is worth. The ES is currently at a value of about 2,000, with a big point value of $50 ($12.50 per tick). Therefore one contract of the ES is worth about $100,000. The same as a full size 100K forex contract ($10 per pip), or ten mini 10K contracts ($1 per pip), or 100 micro 1K contracts ($0.10 per pip). Think about how many contracts, or the value, you traded in your forex account. Sometimes people forget how large a futures contract is and trade far too much size. Apologies if stating the obvious.

The notional value of a futures contract means very little to 99% of retail traders speculating on ES day trades or even on trades lasting a few weeks. Now if one is holding to expiration that is a different story all together ie take delivery.
Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an axiomatic fact that while you meditate you are speaking with your own spirit. In that state of mind you put certain questions to your spirit and the spirit answers: the light breaks forth and the reality is revealed.
The steed of this Valley is pain; and if there be no pain this journey will never end.
Buy Low And Sell High (read left to right or right to left....lol)
Follow me on Twitter Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote