Hedging currency risk in short stock positions (any different from long positions?) | Currency Futures

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Currency Futures

This subforum allows you to find traders that trade Currency Futures. You may post about anything to do with trading currency futures in this section

Hedging currency risk in short stock positions (any different from long positions?)

Stockholm

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, Multicharts, Tradestation
Favorite Futures: US and Canadian Stocks

is the net liquidation value the amount to hedge?

maybe i took a step forward with this problem... and maybe the long short positions arent even the problem...

i have a margin account which is say USD 50.000 and which is also the net liquidation value..

dont i always have to hedge the net liquidation value no matter how strongly i am invested and no matter if i am long or short or anything?!

e.g. i have one long position on 50 % margin and I invest fully, so i would carry a USD 100.000 position... but i cannot hedge the 50 K i dont even "own"? so i would just hedge the net liquidation value of 50.000 USD

Or i have a short position with usd 20.000 on 50 % margin.. which would mean i am 40.000 in cash and 10.000 usd is margin for the 20.000 short positon... i would still hedge the 40k cash + 10 k margin, hence 50k usd which is the net liquidation value?!..

... and as the time goes on i would adjust my hedging position in eur.usd e.g. weekly to hedge the new net liquidation value which resulted from either losses or profits?!..

did i overlook something or are my thoughts right?