Please humor me - auto trading forex techniques with 100% monthly consistency | Currency Futures

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Currency Futures

This subforum allows you to find traders that trade Currency Futures. You may post about anything to do with trading currency futures in this section

Please humor me - auto trading forex techniques with 100% monthly consistency

London

I do perform walk forwards, but I'm yet to see as much use in using out of sample data as with manually checking months with drawdowns, optimising for those, re-applying to the overall, etc. Perhaps I don't understand them well enough.

I run an exhaustive optimisation every fortnight (which takes forever) and I alter my overall 'market view' as a result of that. For example, entries are skewed to long on the EURJPY right now and have done nicely in January. I am however, unconvinced of the merits of doing this and I generally prefer having equal entry and exit parameters, especially since it can sometimes cause funky reversals in the package I use (Multicharts). I think a consolidation month will hit me regardless of how in tune with recent market movement the system is. Regular optimization MAY increase the profit in +ve months though, but I don't see how I could test this as again the markets haven't been in existence long enough for my satisfaction. I suppose I could start with 3 years data for equal entry and exit params, then walk through 24 months after those 3 years adjusting month by month and see if those 2 years had increased profits. My feeling is it would only make a small difference and there is some comfort in being as willing to long as short a market you feel is near enough random (as I have no interest or ability in fundamentals, macro interpretation of news etc).