BMT Q&A Session Dec 17th 3PM EST | Feedback and Announcements

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Feedback and Announcements

Have a suggestion or other feedback for the futures.io forum? This section also contains news and site announcements related to the futures.io forums

BMT Q&A Session Dec 17th 3PM EST

Site Administrator
Manta, Ecuador

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: My own custom solution
Favorite Futures: E-mini ES S&P 500

12-17-09 2:16 PM - cclsys : PS I mean weekly target is less than 5* dailies.
==========================================================
12-17-09 2:16 PM - Big Mike : @jinhar: the real question is how does your average winning day compare to your average losing day?
12-17-09 2:16 PM - jinhar : @solar .. hey !! Hw are u buddy ?
12-17-09 2:16 PM - cclsys : @jinhar: one technique is to have a weekly target that is less than daily. If you exceed weekly that becomes 'extra money' to risk when going for more on certain days.
12-17-09 2:16 PM - Big Mike : @jinhar: excellent question, the answer is not so easy
12-17-09 2:15 PM - Solar1TraderUK : @ Jinhar - Welcome
12-17-09 2:15 PM - Big Mike : The idea of the Skype group came from this thread (read it later and join later)
12-17-09 2:15 PM - Solar1TraderUK : @BM yea have been playing gold alot too..
12-17-09 2:15 PM - cclsys : I didn't know about them.
12-17-09 2:15 PM - jinhar : @BM i have my daily target of 30ticks on Oil .. so shd i stop after gettin 30 tick target or should i continue trading .. after getting 30ticks .. i trade on sim and i am average arnd 50-80 more ticks each day after my initial 30 ticks ..But somehow i cant seem to trade more live . any suggestions?
12-17-09 2:14 PM - papa14 : me...in CL
12-17-09 2:14 PM - Big Mike : How many here are in one of the futures.io (formerly BMT) Skype trading groups?
12-17-09 2:13 PM - Big Mike : I set my stop high because I feel you must do this in order to stay in a good trade with CL. It is much more volatile than ES. I only want to get stopped when I am wrong.
12-17-09 2:13 PM - papa14 : @BM, very impressive.....good to know....
12-17-09 2:13 PM - Big Mike : So even though my initial stop is 24 ticks, my average losing trade is only 12 ticks.
12-17-09 2:12 PM - cclsys : @Solar: gold has been moving alot recently!
12-17-09 2:12 PM - Big Mike : @papa14: I ran a NT trading report this afternoon for the trades I called in Skype group in the last week. 17 trades, 65% winners, WL dollar ratio 1:1, up about 120 ticks on CL.
12-17-09 2:12 PM - Solar1TraderUK : everything else seems slow after youve traded oil
12-17-09 2:12 PM - cclsys : @BM: makes sense. I am still doing it more on gut from volume. Iffy.
12-17-09 2:12 PM - Solar1TraderUK : @BM cool, yes i have been addicted to oil lately,, some great moves..
12-17-09 2:11 PM - Big Mike : @cclsys: I use the bands Yes, I like them a lot. If price comes right up to a band then reverses, I feel it was a stop hunt and I keep the trade on. If it plows through a band, I look to get out.
12-17-09 2:10 PM - Big Mike : @Solar: I trade CL. I used to trade stocks, and use to trade ES for a very long time. But I've been trading CL almost exclusively for about 5 months.
12-17-09 2:10 PM - papa14 : @Mike, ah that is the skill I have not mastered....must determine how to do that...keeping losers small keeps money in my pocket
12-17-09 2:10 PM - cclsys : @BM: do you know how you feel if it's a stop hunt or not?
12-17-09 2:10 PM - Big Mike : @papa: Because I often take traders near the midline, sometimes the trend is just going to change and stop me out, in which case I sometimes quickly reverse.
12-17-09 2:09 PM - Big Mike : @papa, if I feel it isn't a stop hunt, then I look to get out. I either exit immediately or I start moving my stop inward (less risk) any opportunity I get, and reduce it down until it gets hit, usually around 10-12 ticks instead of a full stop of 24-26 ticks
12-17-09 2:09 PM - Big Mike : @papa: ok thx --- if price isn't doing as planned, then I look to see is this a "stop hunt"?
12-17-09 2:09 PM - Solar1TraderUK : @Big Mike - Sorry im new here, what markets do you trade? To be honest i have a dabble at everyting, from stocks to futures, FX, commodities
12-17-09 2:08 PM - Big Mike : @papa, for me when I am in a trade, I just look to my chart to tell me what to do. Is price behaving like I had planned?
12-17-09 2:08 PM - papa14 : @mike, yes cutting the losers
12-17-09 2:08 PM - Big Mike : @papa, do you mean cut losers off or do you mean I am cutting my winners off too quickly?
12-17-09 2:07 PM - papa14 : @Big Mike I have watched you over the last few days cut trades short (especially early in the day ) what factors do you consider when deciding to cut it short versus "giving it room to work"
12-17-09 2:07 PM - Big Mike : Questions on Indicators? Questions on Platforms?
12-17-09 2:06 PM - nw123 : I see,thanks mike and cclsys
12-17-09 2:06 PM - Big Mike : @nw: the first is usually about 12-20 ticks on CL, and the 2nd about 30-50 ticks.
12-17-09 2:06 PM - Big Mike : @nw123: personally I use the Fib Bands to set my targets, so I do use a dynamic target for my 1st and 2nd target with each entry.
12-17-09 2:06 PM - cclsys : @nw: personally I don't but I like the approach. Don't have the ability to calculate it easily right now
12-17-09 2:05 PM - Big Mike : @websouth personally I have a max stop of 24 to 26 ticks, but I adjust it per price action and per the Fib Bands on my chart, I rarely take a full stop
12-17-09 2:05 PM - nw123 : Do you use ATR to determine profit targets and stops?
12-17-09 2:04 PM - cclsys : I use hard stops for money management
12-17-09 2:04 PM - websouth : who uses hard stops and what are you using...atr? why?
12-17-09 2:04 PM - tc12357 : hello
12-17-09 2:03 PM - Big Mike : Indicators, Trading Platforms, Psychology and Money Management, all open for discussion.
12-17-09 2:03 PM - Solar1TraderUK : Hello from UK
12-17-09 2:03 PM - Big Mike : The floor is open, feel free to start asking questions!
12-17-09 2:02 PM - Big Mike : Hi everyone!
12-17-09 2:02 PM - Big Mike : Our intention is to hold these Q&A's on a regular basis so we can help fellow traders!
12-17-09 2:02 PM - Gary :
12-17-09 2:02 PM - Big Mike : Last time we had quite a few participants. We changed day and time to try to reach a different audience, and our next session will again be at a different date/time to try to reach even more.
12-17-09 2:01 PM - nw123 : Hello
12-17-09 2:01 PM - cclsys : hello
12-17-09 2:01 PM - suchen : hello!
12-17-09 2:01 PM - Solar1TraderUK : hello
12-17-09 2:01 PM - websouth : hello
12-17-09 2:01 PM - papa14 : hello to all
12-17-09 2:00 PM - Big Mike : To get us going, please say Hello if you are here for the Q&A
12-17-09 1:59 PM - Big Mike : At the end of the session, I will copy/paste all the text from the Q&A into a thread for later viewing and archiving.
12-17-09 1:59 PM - websouth :
12-17-09 1:59 PM - Big Mike : You can ask any questions related to trading, we will try to answer a variety of questions across all topics.
12-17-09 1:59 PM - Big Mike : Good afternoon everyone and welcome to the second Questions & Answers session

Due to time constraints, please do not PM me if your question can be resolved or answered on the forum.

Need help?
1) Stop changing things. No new indicators, charts, or methods. Be consistent with what is in front of you first.
2) Start a journal and post to it daily with the trades you made to show your strengths and weaknesses.
3) Set goals for yourself to reach daily. Make them about how you trade, not how much money you make.
4) Accept responsibility for your actions. Stop looking elsewhere to explain away poor performance.
5) Where to start as a trader? Watch this webinar and read this thread for hundreds of questions and answers.
6)
Help using the forum? Watch this video to learn general tips on using the site.

If you want
to support our community, become an Elite Member (see why)

Follow me on Twitter Visit my Facebook Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to Big Mike for this post: