BMT Q&A chat, Dec 7th 7PM EST | Feedback and Announcements

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Feedback and Announcements

Have a suggestion or other feedback for the futures.io forum? This section also contains news and site announcements related to the futures.io forums

BMT Q&A chat, Dec 7th 7PM EST

Site Administrator
Manta, Ecuador

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: My own custom solution
Favorite Futures: E-mini ES S&P 500

** NOTE TIMESTAMPS GO FROM MOST RECENT TO OLDEST, TOP TO BOTTOM **

################################################################################
MGC Chatbox EVO DUMP - General channel archives
Big Mike Trading Forum;https://futures.io
December 7th, 2009 07:11 PM
################################################################################

==========================================================
12-07-09 7:09 PM - gregid : Thanks guys and good night!
12-07-09 7:09 PM - mysthars : thanks and have a grt night
12-07-09 7:09 PM - Blz17 : Thanks Mike
12-07-09 7:09 PM - TonyA : night
12-07-09 7:08 PM - SteveM : Have a good night all .......................
12-07-09 7:08 PM - SteveM : Thanks a ton Mike and every one else for all the useful tips ......................
12-07-09 7:08 PM - Big Mike : Thank you everyone for participating, and I hope to see you in the forums.
12-07-09 7:08 PM - deltason : for future i would like to see info on being undercapitalized
12-07-09 7:08 PM - 445NDO : Thanks again Mike
12-07-09 7:08 PM - Big Mike : We will announce the next Q&A session sometime soon.
12-07-09 7:08 PM - TonyA : i enjoyed the responses and especially being pointed into certain areas of the site that i might not have gone to
12-07-09 7:08 PM - adrian : thanks all
12-07-09 7:08 PM - Big Mike : I will be taking this chat log and dumping it into a thread for future reference.
12-07-09 7:07 PM - Big Mike : Ok great, we will try to improve the way it is organized if possible in the future. But overall I think it went well and wasn't too chaotic. I am glad I am a fast typer
12-07-09 7:07 PM - banbrooke : mike how many users connected to this chat , maybe i can help with hosting with my gotomeeting
12-07-09 7:07 PM - gfg1 : this was great ty big mike
12-07-09 7:07 PM - 445NDO : but for future it would be great if we can have a webinar setup and the experts walk us through the setups
12-07-09 7:07 PM - dennho : maybe once every other week or once a month...
12-07-09 7:07 PM - HOBBIT^33^ : yes
12-07-09 7:07 PM - Blz17 : yes, definitely
12-07-09 7:07 PM - Peter2150 : I didn't jump in but Mike this was excellent
12-07-09 7:07 PM - deltason : yes, very helpful
12-07-09 7:07 PM - Big Mike : Should we do this on a routine basis, like each week, every other week, etc?
12-07-09 7:07 PM - Tman : the hard thing to learn for me was to wait, not try and trade every little turn in the market, wait for the trend to develope, wait for the correction against the trend and trade that
12-07-09 7:06 PM - dennho : yes please host live Q&A sessions again sometime in the future.
12-07-09 7:06 PM - 445NDO : yes it was very helpful Mike
12-07-09 7:06 PM - banbrooke : thanks mike
12-07-09 7:06 PM - TonyA : sure... fire away
12-07-09 7:06 PM - dennho : thanks!!!
12-07-09 7:06 PM - Big Mike : What did you think of this Q&A? Was it useful?
12-07-09 7:06 PM - deltason : thanks everyone
12-07-09 7:06 PM - HOBBIT^33^ : thanks mike
12-07-09 7:06 PM - Big Mike : Can I ask you a few questions now?
12-07-09 7:06 PM - TonyA : thank you all
12-07-09 7:06 PM - Big Mike : Thank you everyone for your participation!
12-07-09 7:06 PM - mysthars : thanks Mike
12-07-09 7:05 PM - Gary : At least for me it did, PAIN in the form of money loss, helped open my eyes, and forced me to start a journal, track statistics, and stick with my trading plan.
12-07-09 7:05 PM - dennho : oh yeah? I will have to look into MC.... thanks for answering teh question i thought it was lost in the chat!!
12-07-09 7:05 PM - Big Mike : @Steve: thank you
12-07-09 7:05 PM - Big Mike : @ban: Yes, I have many reasons for wanting to trade CL too. BUt I am weary of recommending it to anyone who has not already proved themsleves to be a successful trader, due to the additional risk.
12-07-09 7:05 PM - Gary : IMHO, Blowing an account is not a requirement, but unfortunately, it takes one of the greatest teachers, PAIN, to help you push thru some of the mental obstacles in your way to profitability.
12-07-09 7:04 PM - Big Mike : I have looked closely at MultiCharts and exchanged many conversations with the founder of MC, I like it a lot, especially when MC 7.0 comes out
12-07-09 7:04 PM - deltason : can't trade without $. shouldn't trade without a plan.
12-07-09 7:04 PM - TonyA : @mike: does trading the 5Min chart have anything to do with it is a universal chart that alot if not most look at
12-07-09 7:04 PM - roonius : @sam: it could be fatality to youtr trading
12-07-09 7:04 PM - Big Mike : @dennho: No I am not surprised about the software. I often thought of starting my own trading platform but who am I kidding, I want to trade, the rest of my programming aspirations are just hobbies.
12-07-09 7:04 PM - sam028 : @hobbit: Hallowing setup was from Websouth I think, or The Wizard
12-07-09 7:04 PM - HOBBIT^33^ : its on the forum
12-07-09 7:03 PM - adrian : @Mike - thank you for your excellent responses
12-07-09 7:03 PM - sam028 : but blowing an account is not a fatality
12-07-09 7:03 PM - Big Mike : @hobbit: halloween setup? I don't follow
12-07-09 7:03 PM - HOBBIT^33^ : MIKE YOU HAVE BEEN DOING A GREAT JOB HELPING
12-07-09 7:03 PM - deltason : i've blown most of my account. don't want to blow th rest.
12-07-09 7:03 PM - Big Mike : @mysthars: About the same time I switched to a 5m chart is also when I got rid of all my whiz-bang indicators, and focused on using EMA 20 only. I since then replaced EMA 20 with futures.io (formerly BMT)CollectiveMA, which I wont go into details here but I listed why on the thread.
12-07-09 7:02 PM - Big Mike : @deltason: Few to none -- most traders making millions do not wish to disclose their secrets, and have no interest in mentoring. It takes the right kind of person.
12-07-09 7:02 PM - 445NDO : mike you are not alone. have blown 2 accounts 50k each = 100k while trading with scottrade ..
12-07-09 7:01 PM - Big Mike : @soumi71: I believe that a 5m chart is less risky than a 60m, yes. I do not believe that a 6 range chart is less risky than a 5m, however. Maybe each individual stop is smaller, but the combined number of stops for 'no apparent reason' will outweigh the 5m. IMO, naturally
12-07-09 7:00 PM - deltason : yeah, thanks mike.
12-07-09 7:00 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: It has been said that more traders that come from a strong Business background and are C-level (CEO, CFO, etc) end up FAILING, because they approach it like they know something others don't, or are better suited/smarter, etc. I fall in this category! It took a long time, a lot of money, and it took soul searching like you cannot believe.
12-07-09 7:00 PM - SteveM : @Mike: Very well said ................. Thanks
12-07-09 6:59 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: Since most do not have this kind of money to burn, or time to spend, they end up failing because they thought they could beat the odds, beat the system. They thought they were smarter than the average person.
12-07-09 6:58 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: If you've read a bunch of trading books, most of them start out "Well, before I was successful, I first blew up two or three accounts, losing $100,000 or etc etc"... that 100k is like tuition, it takes that much money and time before you can learn, for most people.
12-07-09 6:58 PM - banbrooke : mike this is the reason that i think that the CL is less risky and its easier to trade , what you develop a good trending system you will be able to follow it on any instrument that trend
12-07-09 6:58 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: Too many traders try to make their living with a undersized account, no day job, and no plan. They approach it like gambling.
12-07-09 6:57 PM - dennho : Big Mike... do you find it surprsing that there is no perfect software out there... NT has its issues. I use Quote tracker and it has its own set of issues.... where is the "holy grail" of charting software??
12-07-09 6:57 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: But they fail because of themselves, because of how they approach it, not because it's hard or impossible.
12-07-09 6:57 PM - deltason : thx big mike
12-07-09 6:57 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: Very scary, yes?
12-07-09 6:57 PM - Big Mike : @adrian: Excellent question. Studies say 90-95% of traders fail.
12-07-09 6:56 PM - deltason : @sam - thanks sam.
12-07-09 6:56 PM - HOBBIT^33^ : mike i have been looking at your halloween setup, getting to understand it now
12-07-09 6:56 PM - Big Mike : @deltason: There is no substitute for live trading. Everything looks perfect in hindsight, so there is no perfect answer here. There is a lot of value in studying charts, but there is no substitute for live trading.
12-07-09 6:55 PM - mysthars : thanks Mike, when you switched, you kept your indicators and method, or you made a new one?
12-07-09 6:55 PM - deltason : does anybody personally know big traders that trade millions or billions of dollars? if yes, do they mentor? if yes, where do we sign up?
12-07-09 6:55 PM - Big Mike : @ban: Yes, CL can be trendy while ES seems choppy. I agree. I have very little patience, so CL suits my personality well.
12-07-09 6:55 PM - soumi71 : @Mike smaller timeframes are less risky because of where the stops are placed
12-07-09 6:55 PM - Riverend : I have to leave you fine folks. Thanks for the chat. good idea Mike and Mods
12-07-09 6:55 PM - Big Mike : Here is the post Big Mike's trading advice
12-07-09 6:55 PM - adrian : @Mike Is it really possible/realistic to trade for a living long term assuming 95% fail? Are the 5% "professionals"?
12-07-09 6:55 PM - sam028 : @deltason: if you have a look, on a 60m charts for example, of chat have done the news, you'll be surprised that in many cases, their were no impact

Due to time constraints, please do not PM me if your question can be resolved or answered on the forum.

Need help?
1) Stop changing things. No new indicators, charts, or methods. Be consistent with what is in front of you first.
2) Start a journal and post to it daily with the trades you made to show your strengths and weaknesses.
3) Set goals for yourself to reach daily. Make them about how you trade, not how much money you make.
4) Accept responsibility for your actions. Stop looking elsewhere to explain away poor performance.
5) Where to start as a trader? Watch this webinar and read this thread for hundreds of questions and answers.
6)
Help using the forum? Watch this video to learn general tips on using the site.

If you want
to support our community, become an Elite Member (see why)

Follow me on Twitter Visit my Facebook Visit my futures io Trade Journal