Poll result: Risk vs. Reward | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Poll result: Risk vs. Reward

Site Administrator
Manta, Ecuador

Trading Experience: Advanced
Platform: My own custom solution
Favorite Futures: E-mini ES S&P 500

Poll result: Risk vs. Reward

Here are the poll results where I asked what risk to reward ratio you trade with. It's expressed like risk:reward (ie: stop:target).

Please register on futures.io to view futures trading content such as post attachment(s), image(s), and screenshot(s).
This one was pretty evenly split, looks like the majority trade with at least a 1:1 ratio or better. I will admit that I am still trading with a 2:1 ratio, but I am working on my runners which will make that more like a 1:2 ratio. I have a problem with getting out of winning trades too quickly, even for no reason.

My motto is that I better be able to email my trades to a friend and SHOW him why I got out. If I can't show him why I got out... well, then.. why did I get out??? Probably because I was scared to lose money or give back the profits I already had in the trade.

I like to trade 2 or 3 contracts, with the first target usually 4 ticks, 2nd target can vary around 8 ticks, and the runner to around 12 to 16 ticks on the ES (4 ticks = $50 USD). My initial stop is usually 8 ticks, and I move it to -4 once the first target hits, then to break even once 2nd target hits and let the runner try to go all the way.

Mike

Follow me on Twitter Visit my Facebook Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 5 users say Thank You to Big Mike for this post: